Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Don't Walk Signal


The Don't Walk Signal”
(c)2011 Bob Atkinson

near the canals of Long Beach
where successful people lived
near houses painted freshly
with pleasure boats tied up to slips

walked two friends most briskly
more for exercise than travel
gentlemen it would seem to me
from their attitude and apparel

I watched them through the window
as my breakfast I slowly ate
sipping coffee in my favored cafe'
sitting next to my date

wondered how they'd made their fortune
to be living in such a nice place
smart and sure they both were
respect of others perhaps their game

as they sauntered to the corner
where traffic lights were lit
I saw the yellow caution light
give its “watch out” blink

the little man in the green suit
upon the post of brown
changed his stance to standing still
and his clothes went to red

two men of different cultures
came upon this scene
I watched as the world
was explained so clearly to me

now these two men I would say
would fit in anyplace
where honesty, integrity and pride
weren't out of date

though of different cultures
I saw them as normal men
who wouldn't make me nervous
if near them I would stand

as they approached the corner
where “don't walk” blinked on
I saw diverse two attitudes
which dropped my jaw in awe

one looked to see if it was safe
to cross this little street
his only thought was could he get away
with crossing against the “wait”

it didn't enter in his mind
why stopping would be required
just sauntered across the street because
no cars were by him sighted

the other, well, he saw the light
turn red, which meant to stop
all cars and pedestrians
from charging through full blast

his mind was set to be reflex
do the right thing in first order
not caring about his walking fast
or his schedule in that order

he stopped and looked at the man
of red light on the pole
seeming satisfied to wait
until the green one came home

then he looked at his friend
in the crosswalk on the street
already two paces ahead of him
there upon the street

he looked around for danger
no vehicles appeared
and began to walk, although the man of pole
said stop, as did the light above

I saw in a little while
what people use to drive
their actions fast within their lives
remnants of ancient past lives

some choose to look first
at what is only possible
and others choose to look directly
at the appropriate law

the law of nature, man or God
whichever it would seem
would guide his action reflexes
while walking on the street

the second man in seeing
his friend in front of him
timidly began to walk
although the light said stand

now, both men did the same
they walked when it was against the law
but each in his mind
looked first for different thoughts

one thought of what was possible
getting away with it his mind
while the other chose first to review
the relevant law of the land

No comments:

Post a Comment