Sunday, April 14, 2013

Everybody's Talkin' at Him by Bob Atkinson

Everybody's Talkin' at Him
(c)2013 Bob Atkinson
back when imagination reigned
back when ideas prospered
before accomplishment set in
I saw the cowboy walking

Harry, who had been so rude
got bounced upon his rear
along with Lennon at the club
they Tommy and Dickie ridiculed
was where later protest engaged
for closing at ten o'clock too soon
causing Peter to get busted by Sherman
inspiring "For What It's Worth," the tune
  
Harry sang the song of heart
with feeling, his voice nicely fit
that mood we all grew up with
understanding life, us not a bit 

represented that which we
all claimed as our own pages
wasn't us out of tune
was those outrageous aged

Fred Neil wrote the words
lamenting people he had seen
as having their own purpose
not aligned with his deep dreams

Grammy thought it so sincere
when Dustin had engaged
that shuffled gait of confidence
representing some who faded

summer breezes, since
warmed my face with kindness
too many to admit to strangers
here in my time of soft reflection

I see more purpose now for writing
the notes of a life lived fast
when all I could have wished for
came but didn't last

 

Everybody's Talkin'

Poemwriter: Fred Neil
everybody's talking at me
I don't hear a word they're saying
only the echoes of my mind

people stopping staring
I can't see their faces
only the shadows of their eyes


I'm going where the sun keeps shining
thru' the pouring rain
going where the weather suits my clothes


banking off of the North East winds
sailing on a summer breeze
skipping over the ocean like a stone


everybody's talking at me
I don't hear a word they're saying
only the echoes of my mind


I won't let you leave my love behind




No comments:

Post a Comment