Friday, May 22, 2015

Screen Door Flying in the Wind - by Bob Atkinson

Screen Door
Flying in the Wind
(c)2015 Bob Atkinson

I left my screen door flying to the wind
open, flapping, telling me to come back home again
never thought trying would last until the very end
but I'll stay off that there mountain 'till I win

cast aside my home in part because
my goals they were on fire
wanted to partake of life
as if a king for hire

I tried most everything I knew
to succeed in all I done
yet when push came to shove
my race was barely run

I saw forever's failure
staring me right in the face
yes, shameful destitution
carried me from birth to grave

but, money doesn't buy the kind
of peace I have in mind
trying to reinvent myself
because of foolish pride

my cause became a wonderment
of things I'd re-arrange
but, my ideas floated to nothingness
and my name just became a game

for when one sets out to do something
he doesn't have a clue
how hard one has to try to live
among those motley fools

and I left my screen door flying to the wind
open, flapping, telling me to come back home again
never thought trying would last until the very end
but I'll stay off that there mountain 'till I win

over some blue hill I walked
out toward a setting sun
well, seemed to me that life began
when you did what you set on

on to do with grace and style
back there in that darn place
yes, my morning's bright and sunny
but my face has been disgraced

and I left my screen door flying to the wind
open, flapping, telling me to come back home again
never thought trying would last until the very end
but I'll stay off that there mountain 'till I win

now, someday in my solitude
my feelings won't be hurt
with that shroud of mystery cover
I'll begin to laugh and blurt

blurt out those triumphs I
have made of which were few
not because of lack of courage
but by cause of being true

true to spirit of that mountain
where home once was of mine
where a winter wind sent snow
so deep 'till one was blind

where my face turned toward the sun
when spring time finally came
and those flowers grew so colorful
and so did tall grass grains

and when feelings of accomplishment
finds my soul has been consumed
will take that worn path home again
and light an evening fire for my moods

when troubles again cause me
to try another path
will sit right down and ponder
right here upon my ........

knowing we all get antsy when
we know not what we want
but, my feeling's now arranged securely
I find comfort in my bunk

and I closed that screen door securely in its frame
closed it tight, locked it firm, I'm back home again
never thought trying would last until the very end
but trying's good for something if you really want to win

No comments:

Post a Comment